Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Wearwolves

Lilly watched about 12 seconds of a very old and very poorly done wear wolf movie about two months ago and she still refuses to go downstairs alone. It is a real problem for us and her since her room, clothes, and all other belongings are down there. We have tried and tried to convince her that wear wolves are not real, but she remains a believer. The other day I was trying to get her to go downstairs and get dressed. I was in a hurry trying to get out the door, and was a little flustered when she refused to go by herself. Finally I told her without really thinking "Lilly, wear wolves only come at night." So now she is still scared, and is even more convinced they are real.

I am not great at taking time to hang out with my children. I always have the next thing on my checklist in mind. The other day I was putting a movie on for the kids and I saw that Princess Bride was on TV. My kids have never seen it, and even though I had dinner to make I decided to sit down and watch it with them. What a great movie! Rachel loved it, and giggled a lot. Lilly was done with it after Wesley kills the giant man-eating rat. She was mad because she "didn't want him to kill the big mouse." The rest of the movie she occasionally would ask "why did he kill it mom?" Leave it to Lilly to root for the animal, no matter how disgusting and dangerous it is. There are limitations on her sympathy though. She was appalled to learn that hamburgers are made from cows. We talked about this a lot while we were shopping and she determined never to eat cows. On the way home we stopped at McDonald's to get dinner for everyone and I told her she could order something that was not made from a cow, but it was her decision. She said "Umm...I think I will have a burger."

I think Rachel might have her first crush. There is a boy in her karate class named Caleb who is very cute. After class yesterday she stuck to him like glue until I practically forced her to the car. He seemed to quite enjoy her company as well. As we were walking to the car she told me "Mom, I like that boy."

Rachel is growing up. We had a friend of hers over to play the other day. She lives just around the corner so we walked her home. Out of habit, while we were walking I reached for Rachel's hand and she pulled it away. After we dropped her friend off, I asked her about it and she said she just didn't want to hold my hand while Olivia was here. On the way home though, it was just fine. I understand, but it still breaks my heart a little.

We are having a hard time getting Carson to eat. He is picky, but more than that he is easily distracted. Dinner is the worst. Every couple of minutes he gets down from the table to do something. And when he is at the table, he spends most of the meal preparing his food with pepper, salt, or whatever other condiment there is on the table. The other night I told if he didn't eat he would have to go to time-out. That stubborn little boy got down from the table and sat himself in time-out! I forgot how stubborn a two-year-old can be. Carson is the official door-shutter/opener in our house and if anyone even tries to shut a door without his help it is a serious issue. Whether it be a car door, the front door, or the door to the refrigerator, he re-opens said door so he can shut it himself. I picked the kids up from the sitter the other day and when I knocked Lilly opened the door. Carson threw a fit, and before I knew what was happening he pushed me back outside and closed the door in my face, all so he could open it himself.

Emilia is doing great. She is a little fussy during the day, but she sleeps like a champ at night, so I will take it. I usually only have to get up with her once, and sometimes not even that. A couple of times she has slept through the night. She is filling out and even smiling at us some. Shelby has loved all of our babies, but newborn is not his favorite age. He is not one for just holding a baby. For whatever reason though, he likes holding Emmy. And he has a magic touch with her. In the evenings when she seems inconsolable to me, he can calm her right down.

No comments:

Post a Comment