Thursday, April 5, 2012

Wah Wah Wah Wah

As you all know, Carson has finally begun to converse freely with the rest of us. Every day he seems to become more fluent. Occasionally he gets lazy though. If he wants to tell me something but does not want to take the time to form a complete sentence, he says "Mom! Wah wah wah wah?" I always respond with something akin to "I don't know what that means." At that point he gives me a coy little smile and then tells me in English what he is trying to say.

I remember being around Rachel's age and wanting more than anything for the adults in my world to take me seriously. I wanted to be treated like a grown-up. I wanted my ideas to be taken seriously, and not to be laughed at when I would say something "cute". I can see this with Rachel, and I have tried really hard to talk to her like an adult, and not poke fun when she says something I find amusing. Sometimes it is just so hard! Last night she was still awake when we headed to bed, an occurrence that is not terribly rare around our house. Before going upstairs Shelby told her that he would know if she turned her light on. When I came to rotate the laundry she said very seriously "Mom, I want to ask you something... How is it dad knows when I turn my light on?" It took me a second to understand what she was talking about. Once I got it I said, "Oh Rachel, I can't tell you. It's a secret!" I thought she would find this mysterious, but she was just annoyed that I was not letting her in on the whole thing. This put me in a spot since obviously Shelby has no idea whether or not she turns her light on. But if I were to tell her the "secret" the whole scare tactic is shot. In the end I kept it to myself. She was pretty mad at me.

As I said last time, Lilly is really into hunting for worms. As a result, I have endless mason jars lying around outside with the dried up, shriveled remains of dead worms. When her and Carson were getting eggs for me the other day, Carson accidentally let the chickens out of their cage. Lilly was devastated. She cried and cried because "The chickens will eat my worms!" We still have on our hands a little vegetarian. I took the kids to get burgers last night and I asked her if she wanted meat on hers this time. She said (a bit shrilly) "No mom. I'm a vegetarian. Vegetarians don't eat meat!" She might as well have added a "Duh!" to the end of her statement.

My kids are awesome. For spring break we did nothing horribly exciting. We spent a ton of time outside playing together, or with cousins and friends. The best thing about it is we were all together. I loved it! I totally see now why some people would want to home school their kids. Rachel went back to school on Tuesday, and I hated to see her go. She was not exactly thrilled about it either. That girl has a long 12 years ahead of her!

1 comment:

  1. Oh man it's so true...if I thought my kids had even a chance of learning anything from me, I'd keep them home because I love it. But, I also want them to be functioning brilliant adults, so....of to school they go!

    ReplyDelete