Monday, October 1, 2012

Picture Day!


Lilly's picture day outfit of choice, minus the butterfly shirt

The night before picture day, I sent the girls down to pick out their very cutest outfit. "Remember, this is for pictures so it has to be super cute" were my only instructions. Of course I should have been more clear. I guess I forgot I was not talking to adults. Rachel came up with a skirt and a cute, albeit forgettable top. Lilly brought up a leotard, a butterfly shirt, and a pair of underwear. When I broke the news to her that the leotard would not work for school she argued that it would be fine because she was going to wear underwear with it. After a hilarious few moments of debate in which Shelby and I tried to suppress our laughter, it was decided that I get to pick the school picture outfit. Much to Lilly's absolute horror, I chose a pair of jeans and a simple pink t-shirt. She was beside herself. According to her, the outfit was boring because it didn't even have butterflies on it.

On the topic of butterflies, Lilly is obsessed. I said in a previous post that she is my morning girl. I would like to add that she is my morning girl only if she is allowed to wear something with butterflies on it. She will settle for something extra frilly if no butterfly clothing is available. Today she wore pink pants with lace trim on the hem, a blue skirt, and her new brown t-shirt. She looked like a birthday cake gone awry. I made the decision to sacrifice fashion for a more peaceful morning. But back to the butterflies. Last week, Shelby sent Lilly out to pick up some toys in the back yard. She went willingly, but was gone forever and kept coming back empty-handed. Shelby would ask, "what about the toys?" And she would happily go back out to get them. Watching her from the back door, we laughed as she would run out to pick something up, get sidetracked by a fluttery thing, and then go chasing after butterflies. Occasionally we would call out the back door to remind her about the toys. She would say "Oh, yeah..." and refocus for a moment, until she would see some other fluttering thing. She also likes moths because "they are almost like butterflies." Her grandpa says she is going to be a flower child when she grows up.

Carson is such a boy. Last week we were walking home from the neighbor's house when we saw our garbage truck. Carson was mesmerized.  We walked behind it for several houses, watching them dump and smash the garbage. I thought Carson's interest was adorable, but the garbage men did not seem amused. They must get a lot of little boys following behind them. This morning, our neighbors were pouring a concrete driveway. Once again, Carson was totally fascinated. He wanted me to go out with him so he could watch the cement truck. We sat and watched as long as I could stand it (I don't find trucks or concrete the least bit interesting).

One other cute Carson story. He has a little friend named Ian. A couple of days ago Carson asked Ian if he wanted to sit on his lap. Without hesitation Ian told him no. Carson looked shocked for a moment, then said "But I washed my hands!"

As challenging as Emilia can be, she sure has her own fan club. All she has to do is look like she wants something, and everyone in her little world comes running in an attempt to appease her. And heaven forbid she should not get what she wants. That girl can throw a tantrum! I am unamused by these little fits of hers, but her aunt Merry thinks they are adorable. She was visiting the other day, and every time Emilia even looked like she was going to start crying, Merry would say something akin to "You are so cute! Want to come home with me and be my baby?"

Rachel, Rachel, Rachel...I am afraid she might be getting past the whole saying-cute-things phase. She is starting to seriously grow up. When I asked her a question the other day she actually responded with "because that's how I roll." What?

2 comments: