Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Christmas Tree and Other Things

We finally put up our Christmas tree last night. It is a big bushy 9 footer that rubs right against the ceiling. Tonight we will do Christmas lights. I cannot believe we have waited this long, considering the pressure we have been getting from our kids. Every day, several times a day since mid-November at least one of our children asks when we are going to do Christmas decorations. Since our neighbors have started putting up their decorations and lights, the asking has turned into pleading and begging, guilt trips, and occasional threats. Getting ready for Christmas is a hassle, but the joy my children feel surrounding the preparation makes it worth it. Lilly and Rachel were beside themselves just watching Shelby get the Christmas boxes down from the attic. Especially Lilly, whose joy seeps out of every pore of her body.

If you ask Lilly what the best part of putting up the Christmas tree last night was, she will undoubtedly tell you it was finding the giant moth in one of the boxes. She was able to capture it in a Tupperware container and is planning on wrapping it and giving it to Elizabeth for Christmas.

Rachel had her 7-year checkup yesterday with Dr. Hanks. She is in perfect health, and Dr. Hanks was impressed to hear about her plans to train to become a super-hero. Rachel has a habit of pulling her eye lashes out. Dr. Hanks says it is pretty common, especially with intelligent children (I agree!) and gave us some tips on how to deal with it. Apparently it is a stress outlet for her. She doesn't necessarily do it in a stressful situation, but afterwards when she has time to let her brain relax. That beautiful child lives an internal life. She is not as outwardly social as Lilly, and therefore a little harder to understand and get to know initially. But what a delightful human being! I just hope everyone else in her little world gets to see how wonderful she is.

Carson, Carson, what to say about Carson? I cannot believe what a delightful, easy child he is. Kind, affectionate, easy-going, playful. What more could a mother ask? Well, I guess I could ask that he doesn't tackle me every time I sit, kneel, or lie on the floor. This is of course Carson's love language. He went to a birthday party with his friend Ian, and I guess during dinner at Red Robin he would alternate between playfully punching and hugging Ian's dad. I know I keep saying this, but he talks so well now. Yesterday he kept telling me that we forgot the "hate". I had no idea what he was talking about and eventually I gave up trying. A few moments later he said very slowly, "We forgot the CAKE!" Carson also alternates between telling me that he is "Big like mine daddy" when he wants to do a grown-up thing, and "I am still little!" when he wants to get out of doing something.


Still crying about the keyboard

So Emilia is pretty much walking all the time now. Much of the time she just walks for the sake of walking. Her new found talent has not made her any tougher. I don't think a thinner skinned child ever lived. Everything is heartbreaking. For example, just a moment ago she wept because she tried to give me an old dirty slobbery sticker and I said "No, thank you." Meanest mom ever, right? Now she is weeping because I won't let her touch the computer keyboard. Maybe with a first baby this would have been distressing, and I am not saying I love hearing her cry, but I can pretty well tune it out now.

No comments:

Post a Comment