Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Meat Cat

We had chicken for dinner again much to Lilly's dismay last night. While I was preparing it she asked me "is it a girl chicken or a boy chicken?" I said "I am not sure, but I think it is a boy chicken." Lilly said "Yes!" along with a fist pump. I guess she has decided eating boy chickens is OK. When we bought the chickens as chicks, we always referred to them as "meat chickens". A while after we clarified the sex of this particular chicken, she came in with what she thought was very exciting news. She kept telling me something about our cat that I did not understand, and then as a grand finale she said "so we don't need to eat the cat because it is not a meat cat!" I guess Lilly now thinks all of our pets are in danger of getting the axe.

While we were getting in the car yesterday, I told Rachel very sternly that she needed to hurry and get buckled up because we were late. She said cheerfully "well, then I better get my fastness on!" I am assuming getting your fastness on is like getting your groove on. Rachel is getting too cool for her own good.

Carson loves toy cars, trucks, and tractors. He calls them his "che". I am not sure what that is supposed to be, but he is always saying "Che! Che!" when he sees these toys. When he plays with them he runs them into each other and says "whooo, whooo..." He is such a boy. We can now get him to stay in his big boy bed for the most part, but last night he came into our room while we were sleeping. I had just gotten back to sleep after caring for a throwing up Lilly, and was pretty out of it. I only vaguely remember telling him to go back to bed. That was the last I thought of it until later I awoke with a start. Somehow I knew bed was not the place he ended up. I was right. He was in the kitchen opening and closing cupboard doors. I have no idea how long he was playing unsupervised, but I am guessing he had a very good time.

I love it when my kids play outside together. For the most part. Tuesday is my clean the house day, and yesterday I worked it over good. Then today while the kids were outside playing they covered themselves in slimy mud. I would love to be the kind of mom that laughs it off, but all I could think was "oh, my nice clean bathtub," and "now I have to do MORE laundry." Then I had an idea. My parents used to hose us down after a long day of playing outside to avoid tracking mud and dirt into the house. So even thought it was only about 60 degrees out there, I had them strip down while I squirted them with the hose (much to Rachel's delight, Lilly's indifference, and Carson's dismay). Maybe it will be a deterrent the next time they want to play in the mud...but probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment