Thursday, October 20, 2011

Princess Mom

As we were walking out the door to walk to the bus stop Rachel said, "Mom, I don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Can I be a princess? A princess mom?" I told her I thought it was a great idea and asked her how many kids she wants. She happens to want 10, but does not think I should have 10 kids because it would be "too many for you." I said I thought her plan sounded great but there are two things she needs to do first. She jumped right in and said "go to college!" I said "That is the first thing but the second thing you need to do before you have kids is get married." She quietly took this in, and then asked me "is it when I am done with college and walking down the stairs, my husband will be there?" I think she was picturing a husband as sort of this college graduation gift. I so love our walks to the bus stop.

While we are on the subject of Rachel, she competed in her first karate tournament on Saturday. She did well, considering this was her first tournament. She was up against five other kids, three of which were much older than her. She came in fifth place, and I was worried that she would be disappointed. But here is the great thing about competing when you are young. She has no idea what fifth place means. All she knows is she got a ribbon and a trophy and that is all she needs to be happy!

On the day of the karate tournament, Lilly got the stomach flu. I was running when it started, so Shelby called me to tell me that she threw up but felt fine now. When I got home, she was in the bath because she had thrown up again. You have never seen such a cheerful sick kid. I came in to talk to her and she presented the following monologue: Mom, I woke up and came upstairs and dad said "Hey Lilly Bug!" and I said (in a higher pitched tone) "My tomach hurts." And dad said "Want to watch a movie?" and I said (same high pitched tone) "yes" and he cuddled me up in a blanket and then I threw up on the couch." As cheerful as she sounded during this monologue, I know she felt lousy because anytime she was sitting still she would fall asleep. She got over it pretty quick and was herself by dinner time.

Carson loves Emilia, and Emilia loves Carson. He will spend as much time as I allow talking to her, and she just smiles and smiles. He is never rough with her anymore, but sometimes he still growls in her face. I am sure he does it because he thinks Emilia finds it amusing. She does not find it amusing, but she does find it frightening. Whenever he does it she gets this terrified, shocked look on her face. Overall I think they are going to be good buddies.

We officially do not have to see Emilia's doctor for weight checks anymore. She is now over 10lbs, which is a huge milestone. We were supposed to be done with these weight checks about a month ago, but she had a couple of weeks of stagnant weight gains. As of Monday, her heart sounds "beautiful" and her weight is right on track of what my other kids were at this age. I know it seems small but she is in the 10th percentile. For my kids, this is very normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment