Sunday, November 14, 2010

November 14th, 2010

Our computer crashed. We thought we had lost everything. All our pictures, my journal, and the journals I have been keeping for my kids. My awesome brother-in-law (shout out to Cody) fixed it for us and was able to restore everything. But, I have been without a computer for about a week, so no blog. Everything is back now, and here we go again.

We have been trying to get Lilly to stop sucking her thumb for months now, with no success. She just loves it so much. A couple of days ago I had the idea to bribe her with a treat of her choice if she could go all day without sucking her thumb. She did great! I did not see her suck her thumb once that whole day, and in the end, she chose ice cream for her treat. I was patting myself on the back for such an ingenious plan, and we were both excited to try it again the next day. I hadn't seen her suck her thumb yet the second day when I passed out the last of our Halloween candy. Lilly disappeared with her blue sucker and showed up a few minutes later with a blue tongue and two blue thumbs. She swears up and down that she did not suck her thumb, but the evidence was incriminating enough. It turns out all my plan did was teach her how to suck her thumb in secret.

Rachel and Lilly's new favorite game is "Restaurant". They usually coerce me to play it at meal times. In this game, I serve them everything they ask for (within reason). No wonder they like it so much! The plot of the game is always the same. Rachel and Lilly pretend their parents are dead, and they are the sole caretakers of their baby brother (played by Carson, but usually going by some other name). I am a kindly old British woman, who speaks in a sing-song voice and was never able to have children of her own. In the end, I offer to let them live with me. I can even get away with getting them to happily do their chores as long as I keep the British accent. The mastermind behind this game of course is Rachel.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Katie (and family)! Your kids sound awesome and your near total data loss sounds scary. I just taught a computer workshop in my department about something called web-based storage. It basically allows you to back up important documents in the cloud so that you won't lose them, even if your computer crashes, dies, or gets stolen. There are several products that will let you do this for free: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_online_backup_services. I've used Dropbox (www.dropbox.com) and been pretty pleased with it. You might want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steel, I will look into it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie,

    I sucked my thumb and my finger together till I was almost 12... my cheap mom believe it or not paid me $50 to stop (she was obviously thinking about the orthodontic bill being much more).

    She put this nasty tasting nail polish stuff on Nathan's kids thumbs determined to stop them and it didn't even phase them. LOL You might have a difficult time.. it might just be in the genes!

    Terrah :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome Terrah! That story made me giggle. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete