Thursday, December 30, 2010

December 30th, 2010

We have an elf at our house. A couple of days ago we could not find the remote for the TV. Shelby and I both turned the house upside down trying to find it. I am 100% certain that I  I put it on the coffee table the night before, but it just disappeared. Yesterday I was straightening up downstairs with Carson by my side when I went to put some shoes in Lilly's room. I was gone for about 10 seconds and when I came back, Carson was holding the long searched for remote. Earlier this week we had a similar mishap with Shelby's work keys. We looked everywhere before giving up and borrowing someone else's key. Later that day we found them in the office. I would blame the kids if it were not for the vitamins I lost. It was a brand new bottle that I swear I put in the kitchen cupboard (where no children can reach). When I went to take one they were nowhere to be seen. I emptied the cupboard and put everything back and still nothing. Yesterday I opened the cupboard for something else and there they were, sitting right in front of everything exactly where I put them. Elves...

Rachel watched an episode of the Cosby Show where Rudy does chores for money to buy her mom a birthday present. She has been a cleaning machine ever since. I was otherwise distracted when she came downstairs and explained to me what all she had done and why. "Now you give me some money." She demanded. The problem is she just assumed this would be OK with me, but I was quite unaware of her plan. Further, her idea of doing chores and my idea of doing chores are not the same. She "mopped the floor" and cleaned the windows, but when it came to doing the less exciting chores, her enthusiasm waned and complaining set in. All said and done, she did help me quite a bit, and in the process earned 32 cents to go in her "money pang" (piggy bank). I am pretty sure she is not saving up with a gift for me in mind.

Lilly has developed a habit of getting right in your face when she has something important to tell you and enunciating her words while talking slowly. "I WANT SOME CANDY!" She does not yell, mind you. She just seems to want to be very sure she is understood. I think this is part of her middle child syndrome, and an effort to be heard. She seems extra disappointed when the answer is still no. Like she's thinking "did I not explain this to you?"

Poor Carson has a horrible little cough that seems to be bothering his parents more than himself. Last night it was ceaseless, but he was sleeping right through. I got him up anyway and tried to give him a drink of water. He wanted nothing to do with it. We ran a hot shower and tried to expose him to the steam and rubbed Vic's all over his chest, none of which amused him. He obviously just wanted to go back to bed, but parents know best, right? When we finally had done all we could, we put him back to bed. His coughing was much better for the rest of the night. At least if he did cough it didn't bother the three of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment