Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Lilly's Weak Tummy

It all started a couple of weeks ago, when Lilly cut her finger with Shelby's razor. We all know a razor cut does not really hurt, but it does bleed like crazy. Lilly was beside herself, and knowing it did not really hurt, I just shrugged my shoulders and said "you shouldn't have played with Daddy's razor." Shelby took to the task of bandaging her finger up. After a couple of minutes of trying to get her to calm down by offering her sips of water, she suddenly said "I don't feel good, I have to sit down." Shelby's response was "you're fine, just hold still." Then it happened. She threw up everywhere. What we learned from this is Lilly does not do well with blood. What she learned is, if she cries hysterically and does not immediately get a glass of water, she will throw up. And she does. This has happened on several occasions since. If Rachel pushes her down, if I get after her for something, if she gets her feelings hurt, chances are about 1 in 5 that she will toss her little cookies. It starts with the crying, which escalates pretty quickly followed by a request for some water, which if she does not get, she pukes. It is all in her head, but how do you explain that to a three-year-old?

I hate to make today's entry all about Lilly, but I have other news. She is really into negotiating lately when it comes to time. And usually she negotiates in my favor. A perfect example would be "How long do I have to sit in time-out?" My response: "about 5 minutes." Then her insistence "no, 30 minutes!" I don't think she quite gets the concept of time yet.

Rachel is a phenomenally good big sister. She is concerned about the welfare of her siblings almost to a fault. Especially when we are somewhere other than home. At home she vacillates between great big sister and great big tease. Yesterday she was giving Carson piggy back rides around the living room. It was so delightful to listen to him laugh so hard, and to see Rachel be so pleased with herself. When her and Lilly watch movies together, Lilly is very easily frightened. She always buries her head in Rachel's shoulder and Rachel puts her arm around her and says "it's OK, Lilly." This all pleases me to no end.

So I played tag with Rachel for the first time ever I am sure. It is the first time I have played tag period in about 10 years. I could not stop laughing. We had so much fun. Lilly joined us as well. I will tell you this, I tuckered out pretty quick. No wonder little kids burn up so much energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment