Friday, October 15, 2010

October 15th, 2010

Rachel said her first swear word yesterday. She was quite impressed with the work I had done on our guest bedroom and used a mild expletive to describe her feelings. I asked her to repeat what she had said, just to be certain. Sure enough, she said what I thought she did. When asked where she heard the expression and she told me she made it up. Mostly I was amused, and glad I was the first to hear it....at least I hope I was.

Three children acquire a lot of stuff. Mostly in the form of used toys given to them by well-meaning people whose own kids have outgrown them. Ours is a house of constant clutter. As a result I am forever throwing things away as I walk through my house. I am not sure if Lilly just likes exploring the contents of the garbage, or if she is just on to me, but she is always pulling toy pieces, bits of plastic, and other items she deems valuable out of the trash. "Mom, this is not garbage" she tells me in an authoritative tone. Sometimes I argue with her, but it ends in her being upset, so usually I just say "OK Lilly, go put it away." Yes, I have become that mother who gives in at times to avoid hearing a tantrum. Then during my next house cleaning I just throw it all away again. We have a stuffed Idaho Potato doll that I have thrown away at least a dozen times. Why not bury it deeper, you ask? Lilly is a digger, and if it is there, she will find it!

Carson has taken to sucking his thumb. Only when I am around and he is in the mood to push my buttons. He is not a thumb sucker, he never has been. He spent an afternoon with his cousin Lidia, who does suck her thumb. Now he thinks it's clever to do this while I am holding him. He looks me straight in the eye (daring me maybe?), inserts thumb, and waits for a reaction. A smart mom would just ignore him, which makes me think maybe I like this game too.

No comments:

Post a Comment