Thursday, October 28, 2010

October 28th, 2010

It is hard to say whether grounding your 4-year-old from TV is more of a punishment for them or for you. Not only do you have no distraction for said 4-year-old, but you also have to endure endless begging for reconsideration of the no TV rule. Rachel was originally grounded because I asked her to put her shoes on for swim lessons. Instead she turned on the TV. Her defense was that Carson made her do it. This all happened on statements day, which takes all of my time and attention. I RELY on TV as a baby-sitter on statements day. Instead I told them to go clean their room, knowing full well that unsupervised this can turn into an all day affair. Often the room gets much worse before it gets better. It worked. It was 7pm before the room was clean, a full 30 minutes before bed time. And the bonus was, Rachel and Lilly spent all day playing together and had no major fallouts.

A switch flipped for Carson. He is now mimicking words like crazy. And he will sign any word I teach him. He is enjoying his new found ability to communicate with us. He says "no-no!" which sounds more like "doh-doh!" Also, variations of "stinky", "thank you", and "up".

After my run this morning I asked Lilly for a hug. She told me no because I "smell like exercise". She did tell me if I take a shower and change my clothes, then she will hug me. I guess that is the end of the unconditional affection!

No comments:

Post a Comment