Friday, October 1, 2010

October 1st, 2010

So Rachel changed her first poopy diaper yesterday without any help. I actually did not even know this was happening until it was all done. Lilly told me Rachel changed Carson's poopy diaper, and I ignored her, hoping she was mistaken. Images of poop everywhere, and a diaperless 1-year-old peeing on my floor flashed through my head. And of course if I pretend like it didn't happen it all goes away, right?  A minute later when I saw Carson, he was indeed wearing a fresh diaper (although he still smelled ripe). Rachel had carefully placed all of the dirty diaper wipes in the diaper just like she sees me do. When I checked the thoroughness of the wiping, she had obviously missed some of the poop, but overall she did a great job. Especially for a 4-year-old, and especially considering this was one mother load of a diaper. I am so proud! I think I will turn all diaper-changing responsibilities over to her, and assign Lilly the job of supervisor. Together I think they can do this!

Yesterday was also grocery shopping day. I know I brag, but my kids are exceptionally well-behaved on these sorts of outings. They ask if we can buy just about everything they can reach, but there are very few fits, and they try their hardest to stay right with me. Lilly is a dawdler because she wants to see and touch everything, but even with this they are pretty great. However, despite all their effort to be good, grocery shopping with three small children is never going to be easy. By the time I get them all ready and loaded in the car, and then out of the car at the store, all the groceries picked out, loaded on the belt, bagged, back in my cart, back to the car where I load everything and everyone into the car, to the next store where we repeat this process, and then back home where everything and everyone is unloaded one more time, I am wiped out! Funny thing is, by next payday I am almost excited to do it again. Some people never learn.

Lilly is so sweet and so fun but she is really trying to figure out her emotions. Rachel went through the same thing when she was 3. I think it is just a hard age. They are finally realizing the world does not revolve around them, and we are not all here to fulfill their every need and want. It is a hard thing to accept. Lilly can go from sweet and happy to hysterical to laughing all in about 1 minute. Sometimes when she is crying I ask her what is wrong and she says (between sobs) "I don't know!" Truthfully, in Lilly's defense, I often cry without knowing the reason. Lilly is wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment