Monday, October 18, 2010

October 18th, 2010

With the exception of green beans, Carson is not a fan of vegetables. Really, he is not a fan of very many foods unless they are sweet. Usually he grimaces upon tongue-on-vegetable contact. That is, unless it is a vegetable that is on my plate. On the rare occasions I get to eat a meal in peace in front of the computer, he will inevitably find me. He makes it clear he wants some of my food (which is almost always vegetables) by standing right by my plate with his mouth open while he makes a sort of urgent gasping sound. I give him the food on my plate I think he will find the most repulsive, hoping it will deter him. He is so stubborn! Sometimes I see him struggling with wanting to take the bite I am giving him, but not wanting to actually eat the food. I can tell he is trying to brace himself. His eyes say "no" but his mouth says "can't-let-mom-win".

Shelby's mom visited this weekend along with her friend John. The girls were so excited. Here is the  thing about my kids, they put on a great show. When other people are around, they are not necessarily polite and perfectly behaved, but they are always entertaining. Lilly put on her own one woman show, complete with costume and a dance routine, and a whole array of very funny faces. She also played beautician for John, and did his hair so he could "look butiful." John was a great sport about it. My kids also give of their love very freely. Everyone in their world is important to them. It makes them easy to love in return.

I like that my kids think I am perfect, but this is not always a great thing. Rachel often asks me questions I do not know the answer to, but if I tell her that she doesn't believe me. The conversation usually goes something like this: "mom, why is the sky blue?" "I don't know Rachel." "But mom, why is it blue?" "I am sorry Rachel, but I just don't know." "Mom, just tell me!" This goes on until finally I make up some passable answer. When my kids go off to school they are going to have some pretty interesting ideas about things.

No comments:

Post a Comment