Thursday, October 21, 2010

October 21st, 2010

While I was tucking Lilly in tonight she asked if she could count my "breath". By breath she meant teeth. She said "one, two, three, four, (giggle giggle) their slimy!" Then she sang me her own personalized version of "It's Raining It's Pouring" by inserting various names of family members. Tucking Lilly in is always a riot.

It was a beautiful day today so we spent a lot of it outside. I did something I rarely do. I played with the kids on their terms. I swung on the tire swing with them and slid down the slide. Not just out of duty to the kids. I truly played just like I was one of them. I enjoyed it, but learned the following two things: Spinning around and around on a tire swing is super fun, but as an adult, also nauseating. Also, the most efficient way to get to the top of the slide once you have slid down is to climb back up the way you came. But be aware, this is exhausting work. No wonder my kids eat so much!

Tonight the girls are having a sleepover with their friend Ben. This is big news in the world of my children, and will no doubt be the talk of the town for the next few days. I don't know how much fun Ben will think it is. I had no cool treats for them to eat, no fun games planned, and I made them go to bed at their usual time, in separate bedrooms. Still, the idea that another kid slept at their house will be enough excitement to last at least a couple of days.

Carson has finally figured out how to say "please" in sign language. It isn't exactly talking but it beats his usual grunting to get what he wants. He uses it all the time, but he has been disappointed to learn that it doesn't always work. It is not the key to a never ending flow of junk food and beverage of his choice that he first though.

1 comment:

  1. My daughter Brooke is in a program called Child Find. When she was younger she too had a hard time communicating and would scream. At the age three I took her to Child Find and ever since she can communicate. It's so wonderful they give speech therapy for free. If your interested I can get a phone number to reach them.

    ReplyDelete